PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hemoglobin slightly above - unfit to fly?
Old 8th May 2021, 10:52
Bohh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hemoglobin slightly above - unfit to fly?

Hi all,

slightly lenghty post🙂

I work professionally in single pilot operations and have held Easa class 1 for 3 years and Australian class 1 for 4 years prior. In all those years my hemaglobin levels were always around upper norm and varies from 155 to167 (the norm is 160). Never got any comments from any of the AME.

Half a year ago I had to do another type of medical to join government flying organisation. I passed and was approved. However from hematologist commented that I have slightly thick blood probably due to exercise (i like jogging) and not enough drinking water (167 hemaglobin and hematorcit just above the limit). That was the end of it. Government medical commision didnt say anything and accepted without further comments)

Now I have to do two different medical evaluations yearly (great &#128578...

So the thing is now I have upcoming easa class 1 renewal and decided to open up my medical history online. Turns out that the hematologist put a diagnosis due to my slightly higher blood numbers - “secondary polycythemia”. I have called him and asked what is this and what does it means. He commented along the lines “nothing to worry about since it is just above limit, just drink more water and your numbers should be normal”. Turns out that anything that is above normal range (160) is considered “polycythemia” and there isnt any buffer zone.

Now when i open easa medical guidelines it says that applicant with “polycythemia” should be deemed unfit for flying and only after further evaluation can be issued class 1 with oml (which would obviously be the end of my career since i fly single pilot ops).

Now I am worried that despite my blood hemoglobin levels being fine for the AME all these years, because of this entry by hematologist I might lose my medical..

any advice?