PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF at Rucker
Thread: RAF at Rucker
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2021, 16:21
Two's in
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by huge72
On a night stop in Bangor, Maine, all of my crew went to the Mall and popped into the bar for lunch. At the time I was 50 and definitely not young looking, yet I was still asked to prove I was over 21 to have a drink. Later that same day when visiting the transport museum near the Holiday Inn I was asked if I needed a Senior Citizen ticket. You have to laugh at the way they are expected to stick to the rules, rather than use their brains!
Huge, we've all had the same thought process with the being carded routine, but actually it's the same reason that so many other things are completely insane - lawyers and lawsuits. If you rely on judgement and observation, it only takes one underage drinker to slip through and you are done in terms of liability etc. So to ensure you can't be sued, the safe way is to card 100% of people. Quite a lot of places let staff use judgement, like saying they will card anybody who appears to be 35 or under, but again, that is a judgement call, so isn't foolproof. It would be nice to think you are being asked because of your debonair and youthful looks, but it's actually so you wont end up in a lawsuit.