PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Seletar - 1950s
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2021, 10:19
NutLoose

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by MadJackMcMad
Thread reboot...

I was the original poster who started this thread. My grandfather passed away recently and I've had the opportunity to review his case of RAF paperwork - and what hidden insights it provides.

Earlier posters were correct - he enlisted at RAF Cardington in January 1949. His pay book suggests he was on HMT Eastern Prince for a month travelling from RAF Hereford to Koggala, before moving to Seletar in December 1949. In December 1950, he was transferred to Iwakuni where he was in the Far East Flying Boat Wing - before popping to London to line the Coronation Route and then returning to RAF Seletar the next month.

I have dozens of photos of Seletar and Iwakuni, although I doubt they offer any new insights given the existing high quality archives.

The sad part of my history trail is that the detailed paperwork dries up in August 1953 when he went to NCO training school at RAF Hereford. All I really know is that he was a Chief Tech in 1966 and was promoted to WO in January 1971 before leaving in 1975.

A couple of questions:

Why did the accounts and pay clerk trade have a Chief Tech rank?

Any ideas how and why he may have received an "Air Officer Commanding in Chief Costal Command Commendation"?

Once again, thank you for the insights into my grandfather's early years.
You can get his records to fill in some of the later missing blanks

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records