PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 39 years
Thread: 39 years
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:45
TLDNMCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That long ago😳

Originally Posted by Mogwi
39 years ago today, Hermes carried out the first UK carrier strike mission since Suez when 12 Sea Harriers of 800 NAS attacked Stanley and Goose Green airfields on East Fakland. Despite the extremely heavy AAA, small arms and missile defence around Stanley - and the 35mm AAA at Goose - only one aircraft was hit. A lot of damage was done at both airfields and several aircraft were destroyed on the ground.

In the afternoon, SHARs took out a Canberra, 2 X Mirage 3s and a Dagger. 'Twas a busy day and as Brian Hanrahan (BBC reporter) said, "I counted them all out and I counted them all back again".

I should add that Black Buck 1 had also attacked Stanley with 21 bombs from a Vulcan before our dawn raid and set a world record for the longest bombing mission. Quite a feat of aviation and planning but unfortunately the one KRT that hit the runway did not preclude its use. It did do wonders for the morale of the local Brits - though not so much for the Argentines!

Swing the lamp!

Mog
"I was frightened fartless" was the reply to one short interview if I recall. Great honesty.