PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Tecnam P92 Echo and Old Wives Tales
Old 29th Apr 2021, 07:07
markkal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Markkal I think you mean 'Alpha'. Incidence is fixed (unless you're a retired F-8 driver).[/QUOTE]

I wish I was a retired F-8 driver !!!!!

Yes right wing angle incidence is fixed vis a vis fuselage, angle between wing chord line and longitudinal axis
But not towards the airflow (AoA)
AoA (And If I understand correctly Alpha) varies from Minus few degrees in cambered wings (Zero lift) / 0 degrees in non cambered symmetrical wings -Aerobatic high performance singles symmetrical not cambered no incidence no dihedral- to around 18 degrees ( Stall).

And you nail the point about easing the nosewheel ( or tailwheel) to reduce drag and obtain the shortest T.O. run. But NOT from the start as it will have the opposite effect, only when speed builds up to generate enough lift,

I am also a mountain rated pilot in france, and this technique is used to operate from grass short fields T.O. run.
It is absolutely vital, given the density altitude and diminished performance of already underpowered piston singles.
We also ad a touch of flaps for a second to help with creating lift as soon as speed builds up to additionally ease the mains off the ground an accelerate in ground effect with a touch of forward stick speed -and lift- builds up quickly.

Perhaps beyond the scope of this thread, but it shows that we have a precious tool to reduce drag in our trainers, lacking in power...

Last edited by markkal; 29th Apr 2021 at 08:17.