PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degree of difficulty
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2021, 22:16
By George

Received 69 Likes on 17 Posts
My last VAR approach, according to my logbook was in May 1974 at Mangalore in Victoria. I think Hobart was the last one to be withdrawn in the mid-seventies .Even though it sounds primitive it was not that bad and you popped out more or less where you should have been, followed by a circle to land. Circling any jet is not difficult if you are current. Cat D in Japan, the circling limit was only 2.5 miles and yet a 747 goes around corners just as easily as a 737. Today people tend to build all sort of arcs and FA fixes, the ND looking like abstract artwork and fly the circling all on autopilot. Always looks very busy to me with all the mode changes, but it works well enough. You can still fly it manually like a big Cessna. Just turn off the the A/T and F/D and fly body angles and power settings. I understand that in the latest jets the A/T has to stay engaged but you can still fly the thing like any aeroplane. Night time in bad weather, circling can be dangerous and requires both pilots to be on top of their game. Anybody can do a CAT3 ILS if it is set up correctly.