PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Fury Down
Thread: Sea Fury Down
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2021, 19:25
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
After the recent Avenger accident in the US one has to wonder if time shouldn't be called on these aircraft with incredibly complex 80yr old engines that no-one can afford (even if the expertise exists) to overhaul properly
If what is coming out of that sorry saga is even half true, then cowboy operation is more apt than any inherent problem with keeping a 2600 in the air, which many others don't have a problem doing.

Originally Posted by meleagertoo
and the Centaurus is far more complicated than most and seems suffers from it as we have seen several times in ecent years.
As understood it many years ago, the problem with the Centaurus is lack of the correct type of oil. I remember reading an interview with the last person at RR that was resonsible for the Centaurus, and him quoting that he informed all operators of the type (this must be 30 odd years ago) that Shell (I think it was) were no longer going to make the oil, and all operators should get together and order a large batch from Shell otherwise when what is left is gone, that will be it. Shell were the only ones with the formula for the correct grade as designed by Bristol, and the only ones who could make it, but he lamented the fact that the operators couldn't get together and sort this out. From memory, this must be 15+ years now since it all ran out, and why more and more operators have converted them to US radial power. Its been no coincidence that more and more engine problems are being encountered by the few remaining Centaurus engine Sea Fury/Fury, that are likely running on a close but not close enough engine oil spec, with reduced TBO's as a precaution.
I thought I had bookmarked that article from years ago, but I can no longer find it.
​​​​​​​