PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Tecnam P92 Echo and Old Wives Tales
Old 27th Apr 2021, 09:49
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Pilots are funny creatures when it comes to figuring things out for themselves, I had a guy who swore black and blue that leaving the cowls open on a 207 made it fly faster all because one day he forgot to close them, when he did, checked the GPS and saw he was going slower!! then opened them and a little while later was going faster, he never even considered that the winds simply changed a couple of knots and that the laws of physics were completely against what he was trying to tell me. I suspect a lot of these OWTs start this way, someone pulled back on the stick a little sooner than usual one day, got the wheel "A couple of inches off the ground" (no way to actually tell this) and it leapt off the ground way faster so they started doing it from then on, they didn't even consider a gust of wind or a change in wind direction was what caused it, perhaps even some kind of wind shielding was occurring from buildings or any other number of things. What scares me about this sort of thing is that they might teach this to someone who'll jump into something like a 210 one day where they'll try this exact technique and then wonder why it never accelerated and coasted off the end of the runway into the trees, "But sir, I had the wheels exactly 2 inches off the ground just like I was taught by bob! What do you mean witnesses saw the wheel hanging a foot off the runway, I'm sure it was only 2 inches!"