PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plan to shift half of Sydney’s air traffic controllers to Melbourne
Old 26th Apr 2021, 22:22
hiltonbaby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Approach
I think the basic premise is true, Sydney is an expensive place so the ATCS get (I think) 12% more than others for living there. Road traffic is a nightmare and Sydney Airport want their land back.
Airservices also do not think like other ANSPs, who generally put Approach Control next to their towers. This means a Tower might have an Approach Centre half-way up the building, it also aids in cross-training. Western Sydney was probably an option, but I'll bet my boots that Airservices wants to put in a digital (remote) Tower!
Not sure why Perth App is still in Perth given that everything outside 30NM is controlled from Melbourne. CMATS shows most of the QLD RAAF units moving to Brisbane so why not Perth and Pearce to Melbourne?

The British NATS had the same problem with London Approach which was in old RAF hangers north of Heathrow, they moved the facility to a new ATC Centre at Swanwick, near Southampton, a beautiful part of England. Once all of the problems with housing, schools, partners jobs and so on were fixed, I am sure the controllers are much happier.
While it's true level 10 in Sydney pays more than other locations an ab initio on rating takes 10 years in Sydney to get there. It's very rare for double increments which are not unusual in some other locations.. Levels 1 - 9 are the same as everywhere. So it's a long term proposition and while I know everywhere has its own complexities, Sydney seems to have a lot of them. Just wait for crossing modes and TWY H no longer being available for taxiing or holding with traffic on final RWY 07, and did somebody say INTAS.