PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Tecnam P92 Echo and Old Wives Tales
Old 26th Apr 2021, 10:36
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
How many flying schools teach takeoff with 10 deg of flap in a 172 these days on a bitumen runway? I’d tip many. Years of experience tells instructors and pilots about what works well and what is safest. The dinosaur aircraft manufacturers need to get off their butts and update their POH’s with the 21 century. Golly, if I climbed my aircraft at the recommended speed, I’d have cooked 20 engines by now!

For the purposes of this discussion there is a big difference between reducing pressure on the nose-wheel and keeping it 2 inches off the ground.
And here I was assuming the Test Pilots hired to make sure the POH is correct who probably tested many different configurations guided by the Aeronautical Engineers who designed the Aircraft all had a great deal of experience that went into writing these procedures. I say follow the POH, no one has ever shown me personally a POH procedure that makes me feel like if I do that I'm going to kill myself, I've had lots of people tell me variations and their own special procedures they think are best based on their own experience but not one that has been taught "Because the POH way is going to kill you". And remember that when you do something that isn't in the POH you've just made yourself a Test Pilot, personally I don't quite feel qualified enough for that position but that's just me.