PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarantine Hypocrisy
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2021, 07:40
Troo believer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Quarantine Hypocrisy

Given that this is a pilot forum, I’d like to open a thread dedicated to the confusing, illogical and hypocritical nature of the legislation and rules governing quarantine for international pilots domiciled in Australia.

At present there is a dog’s breakfast of rules determining what quarantine requirements a returning crew must complete prior to being allowed out into the wider community depending on which state you preside in.

It’s generally accepted that upon return to Australia, you may complete either 14 days of home quarantine, if you can meet the distancing rules, or otherwise 14 days in a hotel or until your next duty. You have to complete a pcr COVID test every 7 days and on day 10 prior to being released on day 14. Obviously testing negative.

At the moment Queensland Health has determined that crew landing back in Darwin after completion of an international repatriation sector are to quarantine at HWS for 14 days prior to operating an empty aircraft back to Brisbane. No other state requires this. Crew from other states are permitted to home quarantine instead. Remember that the crew are not gallivanting around overseas having a fun time getting boozed up in quant English pubs or a German Beer garden. No, they remain confined to their hotel room for the whole duration of their stay. Masks and PPE is worn to and from the aircraft with minimal contact afforded between themselves and the general public. A significant amount of crew are now fully vaccinated which adds to the illogical position of the authorities in the police state of Australia. I’m not across what happens in WA but could only imagine.

Added to this with the advent of the Tasman bubble throws further fuel on the flames of stupidity. Air New Zealand crew whom operate to a high risk area ,which is currently the USA, are upon return, required to quarantine in a designated hotel for 2 days only and with a negative pcr test are sent on their merry way to mingle and pollute the general public whom could be Aussies having a grand old time in NZ. My God this has to stop immediately. Heaven forbid that the virus could be bought back into Oz via Kiwi crew whom have not quarantined to OZ standards. WTF is going on? Half their luck for the ANZ crew.

The toll the draconian, punitive quarantine policies of Australia are damming and a joke. I’ve lost faith with this country. Perhaps it’s our convict roots but is this heavy handed approach necessary. Pilots are trying to earn a living but listening to the lucky few that are stood up for one month in four, it’s a poisoned chalice. For the poor buggers in continual quarantine for months on end, it’s taking its toll. It sucks the life out of you.

Could someone way smarter than myself point me to the science of such nonsense. I wonder if Anna or McClown are aware of this nefarious loophole that’s apparent with our Kiwi cousin bros. All could be lost unless we shut the borders forthwith. And why is it that the guards at Howard Springs are armed? What the hell have we allowed our country to become?

For crew from other countries we’d like to hear what your governments require for quarantine purposes.
May the discussion continue. And if you’re not a pilot or a flight attendant, we don’t need your shrill chicken little hyperbole.

Last edited by Troo believer; 27th Apr 2021 at 05:32.