PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliService International win Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance
Old 25th Apr 2021, 15:55
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Agreed! I answered a knock on our door a while back to find a chap who tried to get me to sign up to a monthly contribution to what he described as “your local” air ambulance. He launched into a sales pitch, telling how important it was, etc etc.

My first thought was that he might be a fraudster. He seemed to have authentic I.d. but it was immediately obvious from it that he was trying to get me to sign up to support a unit that wasn’t our local one at all. I pointed out he was in the wrong county! He asked me why I was saying that and I pointed out that I was in the industry and worked from the same airfield as the unit he was collecting for. I also told him that “my local” air ambulance was about sixty miles from the one he was representing, that a friend was chief pilot of that unit and we already supported that one.

The chap got quite defensive and grumpy; needless to say he didn’t get my bank details.
Although the situation is, in many respects, quite different in Scotland, there is fund-raising to pay for operating Helimed 76 and 79 even though they operate as part of the SAS Air Wing fleet. It does grind my gears a bit around here when they try to collect for "your local air ambulance" that is 100 miles away when there is a NHS-provided one 7 miles along the road.