PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HeliService International win Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance
Old 23rd Apr 2021, 19:32
Torquetalk

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Hughes500
Come on crab, its jobs for the boys. Look at Cornwall, we better have 2 helicopters because Devon has 2. We haven't spent enough money so we will build a big glass hangar for them and put them both in the same place. We will make them IFR so we can get to Treliske ( the pad there doesnt have an ILS so what's the point ? )
Lets be honest there is a competition between all the charities as to who can have the biggest fastest machine. I have never really understood why they all have to have a trauma doctor on board ? Would he not be more productive being at a hospital ? I still think it is better to have less expensive machines and more of them. BO 105 was small but really cheap to buy and run compared to an AW169. I know the RAF have a Chinook with a trauma team in the back for Afghan which is wear Cornwall seems to want to go. I know it is rough in Cambourne and Redruth but one doesn't step on an IED there !
Only 1 aircraft means a high probability of no service due to any number of tech issues. Good case for having a spare for a time critical service,

BO105 and ILS are not the future. Aircraft with AFCS & IFR capability and RNAV are.

RNAV could open up the flyability window hugely in the coming years, pushing below CAT 1 minima, as the precision and reliability of systems is accepted. Approval of RNAV hospital approaches and approaches/departures to safe pick-up points for remote areas are all thinkable. So much better than buggering about VFR in when the weather is marginal.