PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V22 Osprey discussion thread Mk II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 08:37
chopper2004

Received 95 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by JimL
This appears to be a salutary lesson on the use of ‘anchored’ surfaces at a heliport. The safety assessment, prior to the decision to fly the CV22B to Addenbrookes, might have picked up the fact that the surface was inadequate for the type.

From ICAO Annex 14, Volume II:

3.1.1 A FATO shall:

a) provide:

1) an area free of obstacles, except for essential objects which because of their function are located on it, and of sufficient size and shape to ensure containment of every part of the design helicopter in the final phase of approach and commencement of take-off in accordance with the intended procedures;

Note.— Essential objects are visual aids (e.g. lighting) or others (e.g. firefighting systems) necessary for safety purposes. For further requirements regarding penetration of a FATO by essential objects, see 3.1.4.

2) when solid, a surface which is resistant to the effects of rotor downwash; and
i) when collocated with a TLOF, is contiguous and flush with the TLOF, has bearing strength capable of withstanding the intended loads and ensures effective drainage; or
ii) when not collocated with a TLOF, is free of hazards should a forced landing be required;
Note.— Resistant implies that effects from rotor downwash neither cause a degradation of the surface nor result in flying debris.
It’s been 16 years since I was involved in Setting up our helipad at work for after hours operations by purchasing / leasing landing lights and installing them.

If anyone here has flown in a patient here to our helipad, it would be interesting to hear their thoughts. Anyhow the other week I went on long walk and saw on ADSB that an Essex Herts Explorer was on deck and hung around to take photos of it departing in the early evening.

Last year just after my birthday in September I have a lift to a friend of mine as she had a semi urgent appointment at Addenbrookes and as a reward she took me for belated birthday dinner and cocktails. As it happened the pad had a visitor who was a long long way from home....to drop off patient possibly to Papworth.

TbH this helipad was for years meant to be a temporary as around a decade ago something like quarter of a million quid was meant to construct a proper helipad. But the money went, disappeared also at the time I did hear a whisper (perhaps my attempts at chatting up a female member of staff be it clinical or admin lol !! ) that there be a rooftop helipad on the ATC (Addenbrookes Treatment Center) as it was at the newest building for patients.

And here is the ATC Building below

Obviously the old main bit where in patients, the concourse and majority of the wards is early 1960s construction so no way in hell would a rooftop helipad be constructed.

In the County the revamped new Peterborough General Hospital has a rooftop helipad as far as I know.

Anyhow here prior to the introduction of HEMS in uk, the likes of iconic Yellow RAF Wessex or Sea King be touching down on the Grass nearest the railway line by Long Road Sixth Form college side with either NICU transfers (my mom worked as sister in SCBu/NICU at Rosie) or the odd RTA in the day.

But all that area is now built up with new biomedical research campus and still more construction happening.

cheers