PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is SIM time useless in terms of recency ?
Old 18th Apr 2021, 14:27
nickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is SIM time useless in terms of recency ?

Hey folks,

active EASA TRI/TRE here.

In late 2019 I quit my job as a captain in the Middle East to join a LCC gig in Europe which eventually got canceled because of covid. I haven’t been flying the line for almost 1 year and a half but been actively working as a TRI/TRE in the sim and still are, helping fellow pilots to renew their ratings.
I got recently turned down an application as I didn’t have a flight within the last 12 months even though I have spent hours and hours in the sim renewing people’s Licences... what the hell is wrong in our industry ? Are we seriously still considering in 2021 that acting as a TRI/TRE in the sim is less important than flying the machine itself ? Do airlines seriously prefer to invite for assessments people that could have potentially flying like cowboys in their previous operators but with “a flight in the past 12 months” rather than somebody who spends dozen of hours in a training environment ? And same goes for the trainees... I’d rather assess somebody who’s been in the sim doing LOFTS as he/she doesn’t have a job. Sorry for the rant hope you can shed some lights. Cheers.