PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operation El Dorado Canyon,15 April 1986
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2021, 11:20
Doctor Cruces

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ex82watcher
Doctor Cruces,I was there from 1982 to March 1988,when E.R.(civil),closed down,so I expect we might recognize each other.I'm not going to draw swords over the weapon matter,but another possibility is that the NCO I saw with the SMG,may have been a SGT,in which case, that would accord with the weapon allocation described by RAFEng.I remember the fellow well,because though I don't know his name,he seemed to march all the time,whereas everybody else tended to just amble along.
Do you remember the photographs of Brezhnev and Gorbachev (or similar soviet types) which we 'borrowed' during a visit to the aggressor squadron at Alconbury,and substituted for the photo's of the queen and/or senior officers hanging in the entrance corridor ? though they weren't there long before being retrieved.
Don't remember that, however if I was off shift and they didn't stay long.......
I well remember the Agressor controllers working from ERD when Neat was off air for major work for a couple of weeks or so. Very exciting working with them and interesting too. I remember one particular, very small Puerto Rican Captain called Charlie. HE used to get very excited when he was directing a fight and I think the Agressors could have heard him without a radio! He had the whole ops room in stitches one day when he reprted to one of the aircraft that he had "bogies on his nose". Not being British he was somewhat confused by all the laughter. Some good times, but one of my most dismal postings (only exceeded by ScATCC Mil) and I hated most of it until I came back later as an NCO and things had improved somewhat.