PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2021, 19:27
Deltasierra010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skydivernigel
A colleague, who had grown up and been educated (very well as a PhD scientist) in E Germany, told me Russia viewed Ukrsine and many former satellites as a buffer against invasion (by Germany).
Whilst he accepted Europe invading Russia a third time would never happen, the fear is deeply ingrained in the Russian psyche.
So ex-satellites joining NATO only increases that imagined fear. He asked how the US would feel if Russia ignored the Monroe doctrine, built up the militaries of all the Central American states, including Mexico. The Cuban missile crisis notwithstanding, I think the point is a good one. If anything, Cuba demonstrated how sensitive the US was to neighbors undet Soviet influence.
If the Ukraine stops begging to join NATO or have a NATO build-up in response to the Russian build-up, it's possible the Russian forces would go home.
Of course, I am no expert and trusting Russia may be naive, but his logic did make sense, to me at least.
Agreed,
the US would take action pretty quick if a Central American country ot Carribbean island became a Russian satellite, in fact it is doing that economically now to Venezuela, the west should not have encouraged Ukraine to change allegiances. They should have remained in the Russian sphere of influence, it’s not fair on the Ukrainian people but you cannot please all the people all the time and it is a lot better than a major confrontation.