PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prince Philip
Thread: Prince Philip
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2021, 14:29
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Prince Philip

Sad news today of a fellow aviator who had been a member of the Tiger Club Redhill.
Others will no doubt relate of his training at White Waltham (Harvards) but I always smile at another visit to WW where there was an exhibition of light aircraft to view.
Sitting in a line of machines of the day was the Turbulent G-APNZ which he took a keen interest in to the point he asked to fly it.
I can imagine the consternation this must have caused to the assembled minders and dignitaries as of course this was a single seater (and small to boot).
However he was not to be put off by (no safety pilot or check out possible) and said machine was fired up and off he went (and apparently really enjoyed the experience).
That ultralight went on to be a much loved Tiger Club machine that featured in many races and Air Shows, but I always smiled when either flying it, or it being in a formation with me to think of that day at WW and how the 'onlookers ' must have felt seeing a very prominent person nipping off in the equivalent of an Aeronautical motor bike with a VW engine. He seemed to have carried on like that for his life, so fond farewell to a kindred spirit.

Last edited by POBJOY; 9th Apr 2021 at 20:58.