PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The fate of old Aviation Safety Digests and their ilk
Old 4th Apr 2021, 13:52
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
You might try the CAHS at Essendon, they are often on the lookout for such things.
Thanks for the thought. Being a member of the CAHS museum I have already been given many copies of ASD's which are surplus to their requirements. Every few weeks members occasionally donate their own copies to the museum. Because the museum library already has the original bound full set of Aviation Safety Digests, the others that come in to the museum become surplus to requirements.

You are right in saying the culture is now different. I attended one of those roving CASA flight safety forums several years ago where around 100 people turned up at the Mantra Hotel at Tullamarine in Melbourne. Tim Penney ran the show very well. I dropped the hint to the organisers to remind the audience of the ready availability of the digital versions of Aviation Safety Digests now on the CASA website as it has been my experience that most pilots are unaware of this gem of information.. Maybe the organisers either forgot to mention it to the attendees or thought there was no need. Either way, my idea wasn't taken up, much to my disappointment.

I think in future tours of this nature around Australia it should be an opener to each flight safety forum to tell the audience about the CASA website and the availability of Aviation Safety Digests. After all I note that at the beginning of each speech by senior RAAF and other aviation luminaries at the recent 100 years of the RAAFcelebrations at Canberra, formal acknowledgment was made to the aboriginal owners of the area. What's wrong about putting in a plug for Aviation Safety Digest, Mac Job's masterpiece?

For those who kindly replied with suggestions, thank you very much. Within ten minutes of my placing the request on Pprune, a friend of mine whom I trained for his instrument rating countless years back rang me at home and said he would love to have the lot as he had lost all his ASD's during the bush fires last year. To him the magazine was sheer gold. I agree.

Last edited by Centaurus; 4th Apr 2021 at 14:07.