PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 9 Under Investigation MAX Promo
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2021, 06:47
SRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer
Is it not true that had the pilots followed the STAB TRIM Runaway checklist it would have prevented the loss of control in both accidents?

I see the issue not so much as covering up the MCAS, but a poor failure risk assessment - the single point of failure of the AOA sensor - that's the root cause. A sign of rushed certification and commercial pressure I think.
From what I read in both accident reports had the pilots known about MCAS unfortunately it would have had the same result.
Like many others I have practiced the Runaway Trim scenario in the simulator many times.
I would appear that in both accidents the pilots did carry out the Runaway Trim procedure however reinstated the Stab Cutoff switches when they could not control the aircraft,bearing in mind there where multiple cockpit warnings including the Speed trim and Stall Warning.
The Ethiopian accident report says the aircraft crashed at a speed of 460kts due to the pilots not reducing thrust after takeoff.

I believe that many errors occurred in both accidents, however in my experience the pilots I have flown with in the past would have been able to handle the situation.