PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 9 Under Investigation MAX Promo
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 03:31
dr dre

Received 356 Likes on 195 Posts
Well on first glance this "Under Investigation" show hosted by Channel Nine's Liz Hayes (of 60 Minutes fame) appears to be of the same ilk, just tabloid sensationalism designed to attract viewers through emotion to watch the progressively unpopular medium of commercial TV.

And it seems from the brief promo on this new show it doesn't look to be too different:

Like wheels_down said I think it'll mostly be a rehash of the 60 Minutes fearmongering from 2 years ago, with a brief exclaimer at the end saying something like: Boeing have said they have made safety improvements to the MAX, but our panel of "Experts" still believe there are safety problems you should be concerned about.....

And on their panel of experts it looks like self proclaimed expert "Captain" Byron Bailey will be there. He's passionately shouting "If ANYTHING affects the flight controls, pilots MUST know!" (even though Boeing will include MCAS details in manuals now) and probably pontificating expertise (despite never having touched the controls of any model of 737) . Trevor Jensen is there (again having never flown any 737 model). And some guy with a beard whom I'm guessing isn't too qualified on the aircraft either.

The tagline for the episode is "Would you put your family on a 737-MAX?" I dont think there'll be an objective analysis of the incidents and the steps taken to overcome them. I don't think the rectifications completed by Boeing will be explained in a rational manner. There'll be lots of "This is UNSAFE!" and "This could happen again!" thrown about.

And as the promo states, the show will try and capture the audience who've just tuned in for Married At First Sight. Now do you think the typical audience of that show will appreciate thorough, objective and unemotional discussion and aviation technical analysis? No, they want fear, emotion, worry, panic, angry FB comments.