PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ladies in the sky
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2021, 22:32
finestkind

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Call it societal or culture but basically it’s the same and certainly affected by the area you grow up in. If you are bought up in a city/large population with the associated benefits of schooling, sporting , variety of careers you are far better off than a country cousin. Yes it is far better now compared to years ago but we are influenced or more pointedly are a product of our environment. Given the access to the world now, through travel, internet etc. we are more aware of other “environments”. The introduction of STEM to make females more aware of what they can do does not give them a desire to do so. And yes this is due to a lack of role models. We are slowly evolving but to become a career woman once meant giving up the “normal” wife/mother role. It is far better now but still developing and is still stymied by the “product of your environment” with girls copying their mothers and other females. Having daughters allows me to expound this. Back to quota systems as a means of having/allowing females into a male dominated work force. I can see the advantage of doing so. If the choice is a female of equal qualifications or maybe just slightly less being given the nod over a male so be it. But to give the nod to a candidate based basically on gender alone whilst bypassing far better candidates causes more issues than can be addressed. Also as an employer I also have to choose the best candidate for my company. The one that fits the best and a large part of that is work. I have to factor in the additional factors of maternity leave etc. Yes becoming better with paternity leave but still a factor. As Krismiler stated, “aviation is not family friendly” and that is applicable to both genders.