PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 72 Sqn trouble
Thread: 72 Sqn trouble
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2021, 19:17
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
I have no knowledge of how the RAF Truckie Fleet did it's scheduling - other than to observe that they never went U/S at Deci, Belize, PSAB or Mount Pleasant - but only at Bermuda, Nassau, Nice, Las Vegas etc etc. A challenge for the programmers.............perhaps a predictable challenge!

I have absolutely no idea (or interest) how Commercials do their programming.........

I have done a bit of fast-jet programming - and I do not believe there is a computer programme that could cope with the various demands required to run a successful flying schedule.

Happy to be proven wrong, but the variables - in no particular order - of jet availability/serviceability, aircraft fit, range availability, weather, pilot ability, required supervision, desired progress towards combat readiness requirements, necessary check rides, currency requirements for AAR, night flying, QWI/QFI/IRE checks etc etc - the list is almost endless........It requires someone with a flexible and understanding brain to cope. No matter how clever a computer can be programmed, I do not believe it could do better than an experienced and knowledgeable human.

If Valley has a problem - only those actively involved can resolve it. No external advice from Commercial or Truckie experts can do it. Or from has-beens.

To my old-fashioned way of thinking, this is a very strange way to highlight a problem, but if that is the way of the world, then so be it - I hope (feel sure?) that the modern hierarchy of the RAF is sufficiently familiar with this trendy way of doing things that they are aware and will resolve.

I really do hope so.

As an aside, on my first operational squadron, we had an SAC Ops Clerk who could have very easily run the whole flying programme with due consideration to all of the above...........