PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2021, 20:10
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I lived in fourteen houses and went to twelve schools. The shortest school was Solva in 1945. I came back after the first day whinging that I couldnt understand anybody. A few days later I went to St Davids where they spoke English. In 1950 I joined my father at RAF Heany in Rhodesia and we lived in a mission farm 30 miles out of Bulawayo so I had six months off until my father found a house in town.

Coming back in March 1953 I stayed with my grandparents until my father had sorted a house near Moreton in the Marsh. It was nearly the summer holidays so I stayed out until the next term. Rhodesia stated senior school at twelve so at thirteen I went straight into the third form and had to catch up two years work.

Halfway through my fourth form my father was going to leave the Air Force and go back to Rhodesia. The school decided to push me through some O Levels so I had some qualifications so I got Maths English and Science after two years work.

My father delayed by ten months so I had fifteen free periods a week just doing French, Geography and History. I never did receive those certificates but fortunately I joined the RAF in Salisbury on a Direct Commission when only three O Levels were required: two days before the DC Scheme B came in which required six O Levels.