PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ladies in the sky
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2021, 17:43
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Derfred, if I may
I’ve flown with a female who really didn’t want to be late home because the baby-sitter was only booked until 8 o’clock.
You've highlighted an issue here that is a societal one too. Naturally, I don't know your colleague's situation, but for a single parent (assumption), this is a real problem. Airines (and other shift working industries) aren't always parent friendly. Flight attendants would have been affected by the same situation, as too, a male single parent. Imagine if the airline had an affordable creche that was not time restricted and available to all working parents?

I have done a few high school careers days and open days in the past couple of years in the UK. Even today, it is amazing the number of teenage girls who are just not aware that being a pilot is open to them. What is nice is to see their eyes widen when they realise that not only aviation but other industries are available to them. Encouraging girls and boys to explore all options for sport and jobs begins well before school starts.

Last edited by redsnail; 30th Mar 2021 at 18:28.