PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ladies in the sky
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2021, 23:33
krismiler

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
There is a need for female doctors but I don't remember any campaigns specifically targeting women to become doctors, however in some countries the girls outnumber the boys in medical school.

Prior to COVID, there was a looming pilot shortage and it was necessary to widen the net so that suitable women would apply. By having a greater pool of applicants to choose from, high standards could be maintained.

There is no need to have women on the flight deck, specifically because they are women. There is a need to ensure that they are aware that the career is available to them and that the selection process is fair and non discriminatory. A while ago I was operating a flight and while the pax were disembarking, an Indian man asked if his daughter could have a look at the flight deck, I obliged and a girl of about ten or eleven years old came in and started asking questions. I was happy to point out to her we had two Indian ladies flying for us and that the job was open to all.

She had an interest in flying at an early age and was more likely to have the dedication required than someone who needed to be persuaded to go into aviation and then advanced to make up a quota. I would rather be treated by a doctor who wanted to become one from an early age, rather than one who went into medicine for the money.