PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 29th Mar 2021, 05:06
kungfu panda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver68

Arrogant- So I'm arrogant for expressing an opinion which conflicts with your interests.

Discrimination- That card is very loosely thrown around these days. In this case you're using it to stop me from expressing a commonly felt opinion.

Troll: Somebody who disagrees with the opinions of the previous three posters. We're all anonymous, so that can't be a factor.

I reiterate my views:

1. Under normal circumstances we all have the right to work to age 65. As stated this has been true since 2007 and is not historically the case. 60 - 65 are bonus years (in my opinion)

2. When an Airline needs to downsize it should start with the 60 - 65 group. After that work up the seniority list (again, my opinion)

3. All Pilots should target 60 as the age which they have the financial resources to retire. Due to 2 reasons (i) Passing the medical can be difficult after 60 (ii) changing job after 60 is more difficult. If you have not achieved this then normally it is down to poor decision making.

4. Pilots aged 60 - 65 who have the financial resources to retire but choose to cling to the job (like Trump), watching those 45 year old colleagues, with families and fewer resources, put onto the street do lack integrity. That is more fact than opinion. A lack of integrity doesn't stop guys but it costs them the respect which they would normally expect.

summary:
In my opinion under the current COVID circumstances the 60-65 group should gracefully retire.