PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grand-daughter joining Rock Ape Reserve.
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2021, 23:18
TLDNMCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reserve lady Rock.

Originally Posted by langleybaston
What do I say to her?

Her G-Gpa served as RAFVR in WW II, i/c a barrage balloon, Coventry Blitz, Suez 3 years, D Day ships, her G-pa spent 41 years attached RAF [medical reject], her uncle was Regiment at Scampton as Aux. gunner .....
she is nearly 6ft, has a good 2:1, a good job, early 20s, fit as a flea, and wants adventure and challenge. Employer, a multi-national, entirely happy with the idea.

A part of me is delighted:: she did the aptitude thing and could have applied for any Reserve trade, got a massive score but insists on the Regiment.

Any advice please? Not that I dare give advice unless solicited.!
Buy her a decent bottle of wine, sit back and listen to her recounting her adventures after a few months.
In the reserves, therefore retaining her day to day job whilst cramming in a few more interesting weeks and weekends than most of the people she sees 9-5 Monday to Friday, good combination.
Advice? Don't bore the daylights out of your 9-5 colleagues after a weekend exercise, they won't get it unless they've been involved at some point, answer if they ask, but don't push it, speak more about it if they sound interested. Good luck Grand-daughter. Branch/ trade is nothing to sweat about, LB.