PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows are safe after Ministry of Defence plans to retire entire fleet of 76 Hawk
Old 28th Mar 2021, 14:02
DuckDodgers

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
There aren't that many Alpha Jets out there, and they offer little advantage over the Hawk in this role. I was thinking more of the Mirage F1s, Cheetahs, and ex IDF F-16s.......
Again, I do think you need to look into the supportability behind each of those air systems prior to questioning their airworthiness credentials and certification base. For example, both the Atar 9K-50 and F100-PW-200 are supportable by some fairly reputable aerospace companies and at least one of the air systems mentioned has an active OEM behind it as design authority. I'm sure you would agree with the idiom of what's sauce for the goose is pretty applicable here across those mentioned air systems? The real question I suppose is, does the RAF's appetite for a supersonic, radar equipped, block 4 contracted adversary live up to the price point they are willing to pay along with the question of what are their expectations?