PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows are safe after Ministry of Defence plans to retire entire fleet of 76 Hawk
Old 28th Mar 2021, 09:14
DuckDodgers

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
1) Crisis may be a bit strong, but they've struggled to fully man No.IX Squadron, I gather, and I also understand that there's a shortfall of pilots across the force. I don't know if that's down primarily to retention, or to the output from Ascent.

2) The US COCO adversary solutions all use ancient aircraft types and have an over-reliance on the Experimental certification/registration process. It's unlikely that such solutions would meet UK airworthiness standards, while there would not seem to be a sustainable source of aircraft that will meet both the requirement AND the likely cost constraints. Isn't that why ASDOT died a death in the first place?

I heard an eye-watering hourly cost figure for even HHA's Hawker Hunters - if accurate it's hard to see how owned and amortised Hawk T1s would work out more expensive.
1. Manning against liability is still a comd issue on the TyF especially at LOS, but nowhere near as prevalent as perhaps 4-5 years ago. However, the disbandment of 100 Sqn and the move to (much) smaller sqns may perhaps assist?

2. Whilst a Special Airworthiness Certificate from the FAA forms the baseline in the United States, to deliver Public Aircraft Operations (PAO) iso the DOD an organisation is required to gain additional approvals that sees them out with the FAA's purview. In the case of delivering a contract to the USN / USMC then an Interim Flight Clearance (IFC) is required from NAVAIR, if delivering a contract to the USAF then a Military Flight Release (MFR) is required from the Technical Airworthiness Authority (TAA), the latter is very similar to the UK Military Aircraft Certification Process (MACP) and elements of the Contractor Flying Approved Organisation Scheme (CFAOS). Organisations are audited annually and both IFC and MFR can be withdrawn if recommendations are not implemented nor standards applied.

3. I'd also be very careful using the term 'ancient' along with the statement 'dubious airworthiness and sustainability' without understanding the support behind individual air systems. There is absolutely no reason why, for example, an Alpha Jet couldn't fly on contract in the UK.

4. ASDOT failed due to unrealistic requirements for the continually changing budget along with 2* interference and disingenuous industry promises. For any future UK programme, I suspect the default position will be for the air system to be on the UK Military Aircraft Register (MAR) having undergone the MACP or that industry can demonstrate alternate acceptable means of compliance for which I can think of at least 3 options.

5. Yes, a HHA museum piece at >£10,000 per hour is hardly VFM nor I suspect would be presentationally nor reputationally viable to MOD.