PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2021, 18:28
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
what happens to his pension? Does that remain secure? And indeed his LS&GC?
His OBE will be withdrawn, as with any State Award to someone subsequently sentenced to jail. His LS&GC will be removed as the GC bit is self-evidently proven to be wrong, but he will retain the other service medals he earned. He will keep his pension as prison plus a fine of that magnitude would be a disproportionate penalty that would not apply to a civilian (yes, I know he is a retired serviceman) convicted of a similar fraud. He will not be entitled to use the rank as his commission will be terminated by sentence of CM rather than relinquished, so he won't be bothering this thread too much.

I have a small amount of sympathy for someone who has fallen so spectacularly from grace and who will probably have quite a hard time in prison, but he has only himself to blame. Others who have been caught playing fast and loose with CEA and its predecessor have been treated differently in the past.

However, I have a great deal of sympathy for his children, who will probably be feeling guilty even though their only crime was to be of school age, and whose education is probably about to be disrupted. I would, however, be quite interested to know whose decision it was for his wife to spend so much time 'in the country' and whether that person still thinks it was a good idea.