PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use Of Rudder In Large Transport Category Airplanes
Old 25th Mar 2021, 08:12
anson harris

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
The outboard ailerons lock out at 235 kts, I’d say that’s a pretty good clue from Mr Boeing.
If "Mr Boeing" wanted you to read something into that, I'm pretty sure he'd tell you.
Secondly, if the turn co-ordination provided by the 747 yaw damper was so poor, wouldn't everyone in the cabin be feeling accelerations, other than straight into their seats, every time we go around the corner? As well as flying the thing, I've spent a fair bit of time in the cabin and can't recall my drink ever being spilt while turning, even at low speed.
I think the video of the podstrike shows exactly why a lot of caution is required every time the rudder pedal is touched in the 747. The associated roll is significant and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't surprised me at least once. Hopefully I learned from it and got better the next time. But then again, I tend to follow the guidance that it really doesn't need any rudder until just prior to touchdown and on a wet runway I would say it's only really required once you have main gear touchdown - you can see in that video that the rudder is being hammered at about 50 feet.

Last edited by anson harris; 25th Mar 2021 at 19:12. Reason: Spelling.