PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2021, 14:25
OzzyOzBorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is true that MAN has enjoyed a very turbulent relationship with British Airways over the years. But that is a discussion best left to the historians. All the personalities of that era are long gone (most are six feet under). It is highly unlikely that any of the senior executives at today's BA or MAG would have any meaningful knowledge of events back then. For the purposes of contemporary considerations and for planning ahead, we need to think of BA as just another airline brand and Manchester Airport as another business opportunity which may or may not interest that brand.

Note that I speak of the brand, not the airline. That is because the true contemporary entity is IAG - a grouping within which 'British Airways' is just one constituent brand. And, as it happens, today is a rather momentous day to be debating IAG's attitude towards MAN. Because this is the day that the group has finally gone public with details of the new Aer Lingus Transatlantic programme of scheduled flights to JFK, MCO, BOS and BGI, with the possibility of more to come. When C-19 subsides, MAN can also anticipate resumption or continuation of regular schedules by various IAG brands: British Airways to LHR; BA CityFlyer leisure schedules (not resuming S2021 but may return post-pandemic); Sun-Air of Scandinavia (BA franchise) to BLL, GOT?; Aer Lingus to DUB; Aer Lingus (Esken franchise) to ORK, BHD, DUB; Iberia Express to MAD with the possibility of additional leisure routes; Vueling to BCN.

This IAG portfolio which we see today is far removed from the old British Airways days of yore. MAN is evaluated purely as a business opportunity with potential profits to be made, to be compared with alternative airports bidding for the aircraft assets committed. Decisions are made based on projected ROI, often by executives who are neither British nor based in the UK. Those making the calls have no knowledge of the big characters of BA's past, nor of the business practices they implemented back then. Likewise, few executives at MAN are aware of the policies enacted by high-profile forerunners such as Gordon Sweetapple and Sir Gil Thompson back in the day. They're just names from ancient history.

So we all need to move on and consider today's IAG and today's MAG. Some positives, some negatives in both cases, but essentially two businesses trying to make their way in the most challenging environment seen by commercial aviation in living memory.

I was directly inconvenienced by BA's tactics back in the '80's with one journey severely disrupted (rerouted with a change at LHR whilst accompanying a passenger with mobility problems). I was livid, and I have only once made a long-haul booking with them since ... though to be fair, a cruise line made that booking and I didn't have much say in it! So I understand the depth of feeling. But today I would be happy to book the British Airways brand if the itinerary and pricing ticked the right boxes. With connections over LHR, I always take account of the elevated likelihood of the domestic Shuttle leg being cancelled at short notice ... this service always seems to be first in line for the chop when LHR needs to reduce its movements rate. Apologists shrug and say those affected can drive or take a train to London ... well, not in time to make their long-haul connection they can't. So, for me, connections over LHR still come across as higher risk than those offered by competing options. But I'll still take the risk for high frequency short-haul connections where later flights are available if required.

My bookings with IAG brands are a straightforward business decision. They depend on the attractiveness of the deal offered in terms of price, reliability and timings (and ... errr ... interesting aircraft types! :-) ). There is no place for exercising grievances from ancient history in this process. It is just another airline brand operated by staff with zero knowledge of failures brought about by executives who occupied their roles over forty years ago.

Of course, contemporary failings would very much be taken into account. Air Europa still haven't refunded me for a booking which they cancelled eleven months ago (they're really bad). Though I do wonder whether IAG realise what a duffer they're buying there.