PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad landing = negligence
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 16:34
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I don't entirely agree, It is possible for a totally attentive and qualified pilot to just run out of skill enough to have an accident, ...
Yes, of course, but the pilot must not necessarily be the negligent one in the chain of events that lead to the accident. It might have it's origin with his instructors and examiners, who either did not notice his lack of skill or let him pass anyway. I do not know what's involved in maintaining an Australian microlight license, but if it includes anything like a biannual flight review or similar, his obvious inability to fly an approach at an appropriate speed and altitude should have been noticed, as well as his difficulty in maintaining directional control after the touch-and-go.

Also I do not know what's involved when flying to small airfields in Australia, especially ones where one has not been for some time. In many European countries it is custom, even if not legally required, to give them a phone call in advance and inquire about the runway condition and whatever else one should know. In this case a visiting pilot would certainly have been made aware of the carnival including ferris wheel right next to the field. On larger airfields these things would be NOTAMd and not reading NOTAMs before departure will definitely be regarded as negligence.