PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fresh Grade 3 Instructor with $120,000 debt. Driving street sweepers...
Old 21st Mar 2021, 01:45
deja vu

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky the pilot
Megan; That comment made me think of my Late Father's experience at Demob, of which he told me a few times over the years
As he passed down a line going through the final procedures for leaving the RAAF in around mid '46 there were a few Men standing right at the end of the queue asking each Pilot if they wanted 'a career in the Airlines.'

Dad said that he was thinking about it but abruptly changed his mind when the bloke immediately ahead of him replied to the questioner and in a loud voice, "Shove it up your a**e!"

Dad later often wondered if he should have taken up the offer.

Aparrently the bloke in question had had more than enough of flying. Dad seemed to remember that he had a few 'gongs' on his uniform.
My Dad aged 17 decided he wanted to be a pilot and work for an airline here in Australia. It was 1936 and as my Grandfather, a merchant seaman, was away at sea so my Grandmother went to talk about this with her bank manager, all knowing in those days were the bank managers. He apparently told my Grandmother there was no future in aviation and it was just a passing fad so no, he couldn't be a pilot. Maybe the bank manager was right about aviation.