PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2021, 23:41
transition_alt

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb150
Most of the CASA ATPL exam content is outdated or irrelevant now. I'm still trying to figure out why I need to know the "3 types of hydroplaning" or how many laser ring gyros in an INS. If the runway is wet there is a chance of hydroplaning and if your flying an aircraft with an INS the company will provide training for it.

The thing is none of this stuff is hard, CASA make it hard. The difficulty of the ATPL exams have no correlation to air safety, but try telling CASA that.
The issue these days is having the attitude of “I don’t need to know that, so I won’t learn it.”

Knowing the different types of hydroplaning will help you identify the risks and mitigate against them for example.

There needs to be an ATPL syllabus, so they’ve put items in that they believe are useful. It’s not as easy as deciding one day to change an entire subject to better suit the modern day airline environment. If that was the case, everything could probably be condensed into one exam. Not very useful for a syllabus at ATPL level IMO. People just need to do the exams and get on with it, not the constant whinging we always hear.