PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG Complete loss of electrical power.
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2021, 22:41
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by excrab
I only have experience of one company’s ETOPS requirements on the NG so it’s not definitive, but we couldn’t dispatch an ETOPS flight unless both engine generators and the APU generator was serviceable. In flight the APU had to be started prior to the ETOPS entry point and if it didn’t start or one of the engine driven generators failed prior to the entry point then we had to re-route to ensure we remained within one hour of a suitable airfield. I would imagine that would apply to most ETOPS aircraft unless they have a RAT that can provide sufficient power if one of the other sources fails.
ETOPS MEL's are more restrictive - I don't think any MEL for ETOPS allows dispatch with only two generators - regardless of aircraft type.

Banana Joe, I should have specified 'commercial jetliner'. The point remains - jetliners having to ditch is very, very rare. Compare that to spacial disorientation leading to a loss of control - multiple crashes in just the last decade. Sim time can be better spent.