PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas domestic fleet: A320neo vs B737MAX
Old 19th Mar 2021, 00:07
ExtraShot

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Going Boeing
The B737 has a narrower cabin than the A320 which means that each economy seat is approx 50mm narrower than the seats on an A320 - this makes a significant difference to passenger comfort, especially in the middle seat and manageement are very aware of this through normal pax feedback. The ceiling of the A320 is higher, and thus allows the overhead bins to be mounted higher giving a more spacious appeal, not the sardine can effect on the B737.

Most of your discussion is about seat pitch where the B737-800 (& Max equivlent) has a slight advantage over the A320 in cabin length resulting in probably one more row of seats in a mainline Premium configuration but this can be easily countered by deploying A321's on higher capacity routes (& peak times). In general, they would deploy the appropriate sized aircraft to suit the demand so one less row of seats may not be as significant a factor.

Actually I think it’s more like 3-4 rows extra than any A320 that I can find that has 12 business seats, and with galley space that can support service for a 5-odd hour sector. Thats 18-24 extra passengers for practically the same operating cost. AND the discounts on the MAX are likely to be huge.

Again, your shoulder space will hardly come in to the equation, because the competition is going to be flying exactly the same equipment - 737s...

The MAX is a very likely choice, though I wouldn’t be surprised at some longer range 321s being included as well.