PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BUMFFPITCHH.. H?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2021, 11:36
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
In the modern world we don't always join downwind, other than, of cause, at uncontrolled airfields. At controlled aerodromes it is usual to be cleared via the most direct route. This also has an environment benefit by spreading the noise intensity away from one place. I too agree that the term 'pre-landing is therefore most appropriate.

and still push an imaginary u/c down as l do the checks. After all you never knew when one day you might be in a folding u/c aeroplane. I even still say "pitch set to fine"
Why not, even if only to be consistent, it only consumes a few seconds.
This is wrong. Repetitive checks with no purpose is just that. Some years ago I was checking out a friend, a Captain of a large jet, on a simple PA28. He had approximately 4000 hours instructing on club aircraft from some years earlier. During the circuit work his verbal checks were perfect with well synchronized touch controls. Other than a few issues with the round out, but never unsafe, I introduced a few problems. Having distracted him I pulled the mixture control by a few inches and switched to one magneto. Once again the checks were perfect but neither of these were corrected. When I pointed this out he was furious but not with me rather with himself. He undertook to take this back to work for discussion, I had obviously struck a nerve. I on the other hand incorporated all that as safely as I could to bring actual reality into the checks with all my students. Some things are quite simple: adjusting the altimeter, altering the HI by 30 degrees, demanding that when Ts and Ps are said then the actual temperature and the pressure is read out. Are the brakes actually fully off: i.e. C150 trained pilots press the top of the brakes even when flying a C172 which has a hand brake.

With regard to "gear down and locked and pitch fully fine". There is nothing more likely to wind up the neighbors than: a constant speed propeller, at fine pitch, screaming along the length of the downwind leg, as it fights against the lowered undercarriage drag.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 14th Mar 2021 at 11:51.