PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government's $1.2 billion 'ticket to recovery' offers 800,000 half-price airfares
Old 10th Mar 2021, 20:09
Ladloy

Received 119 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
Really?? why please explain.

The idea is not to give cash directly as in the form of a job keeper 2.0. I think its a far better idea this will make premiers think a little harder and have less knee jerk reactions to closing borders and entire states over 1 case as this method is providing a massive boost to tourism in the form of actual tourist. Only paying half price the punters will have confidence now and will soak this up like a sponge in water.
I honestly doubt they will soak it up. Its not an extensive list and what's stopping the airlines from just jacking up prices? It won't benefit the employees and there will still be many jobs lost.

I firmly believe that the border closures are pretty much a thing of the past because of the vaccine rollout. If only the federal government took responsibility at the start for hotel quarantine or had a national approach it could have been a different story. Not worth derailing this thread by arguing about borders like every other discussion on this forum.

This policy won't save jobs and it's just a policy to make it look like the government is doing something.