PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government's $1.2 billion 'ticket to recovery' offers 800,000 half-price airfares
Old 10th Mar 2021, 17:44
DirectAnywhere

Received 164 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Fonz121
So what exactly does this mean for us international crew?

“Airlines will receive federal payments to keep about 8600 workers in jobs until international travel resumes in November, with Qantas and Virgin asked to prove their readiness to restart long-haul flights.”

Doesn’t inspire confidence that we’ll actually receive any cash to get us by until then. Hope I’m wrong.
Nor does it deal with the fundamental problem domestically - leakage from hotel quarantine and arbitrary state border closures. Doesn’t matter how cheap the fares are if borders don’t stay open or people don’t have the confidence they’re not going to be slapped with 14 days quarantine or locked out of their home state again.

I’m also pretty confident Virgin won’t be able to ‘prove its readiness to restart long-haul flights’.

I’d like to know how the government and airlines would deal with crew all stood down again after being stood up and giving up their secondary employment? The response I’m sure would be something along the lines of, “That’s a hypothetical and we don’t deal in hypotheticals.”.