PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain from Bizzjet to Airline
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2021, 14:35
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by captain.weird
What about if you already have hours on Airbus/Boeing? Lets say 2000-3000 hrs as FO before you become a bizjet captain? Is it in that case easily possible?
I would say that it is easily possible on a part 23 aircraft like the Cessna CJ series. You can do your typerating in the left hand seat and get checked out as PIC right away. For a private operation that is all you need to fly as captain. But you don't need 3000 hours on a Boeing for that, a PPL (and an insurance company) is basically all you need...

On part 25 aircraft and especially within a commercial operation (23 and 25) you need to go through the operators approved command upgrade training and supervision. And pass all the checkrides. Maybe there are exceptions in some countries where a private operator can have someone trained to fly as captain right away also on a part 25 plane, but I have never seen one. And then there are FO who never get upgraded to captain on any type of aircraft (apart from a Cessna 152 maybe) because they continue to fail their checkrides. I have encountered quite a few of those already.