PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Second Officer Jobs
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2021, 23:06
Mach E Avelli

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
Still not getting it. Is a separate ticket required to operate an Pratt R-985? How about a Lycoming TIGO-541?
No separate ticket but if you read the fine print in Part 61 you will find a requirement to have completed sufficient training on the differences. Any operator valuing his equipment would demand that anyway. In the event of a claim because some dildo blew an engine to bits the insurer would want to know what training and experience the pilot had.
As for a separate gas turbine endorsement, for once this is not something CASA dreamed up. Many other ICAO States have required it since I was a boy, over 50 years ago. I recall the exam then being quite comprehensive. The most recent 'approved' GTE exam I saw was pretty basic stuff.
Are turbines more tricky to drive than supercharged radials or geared turbos ? Obviously not. But older turbines that still prevail in much of the GA fleet don't have the protections of the latest kit. The consequences of cooking one could exceed half a million bucks, as opposed to blowing a jug on your R985 - which could cost 10% of that.
Not too many operators would turn a 200 hour CPL loose on complex engines, which is why the OP would be spending unneccesary money at this stage.