PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse : The end of an era
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2021, 18:17
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Please don't be rude about the JP3.
Damned thing nearly killed me one day during my BFTS course, but my fault and ham fisted-ness. Stuffed up a stall turn, nose was too low to begin with, so tried to correct it at the point of the stall and presumably had some up elevator. It did something I hadn't seen before; it flicked in the vertical then fell out backwards into an inverted spin. Thankfully, I recognised it because I had previously seen one of those in a Cessna 152 some years before. However, having finally sorted it out (eventually recovered it but then it spun upright going the opposite way) and climbing I realised I'd gone considerably below minimum ejection height for the seat. Lost over 10,000 feet in the process. Having recovered my composure by flying straight and level for a while I RTB'd to Linton. On reporting it to my instructor, in so many words all he said was "Well don't effing well do that again!" Lesson learned!

However, I did later wonder if it was ALL down to me after John West (ex Harrier display pilot) was killed in a JP (actually a Strikemaster), in similar circumstances during a civvie demo flight to a potential buyer.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 4th Mar 2021 at 18:30.