PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK to EASA
Thread: UK to EASA
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2021, 14:09
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Horsepowerrr
It was all hear say and not solid. I specifically asked the CAA last November if they would accept EASA state licenses to fly a G reg airplane and they said they didn’t know what was going to happen exactly and was better to wait as there would be a grace period after it would be clear how it would all settle.
That was bad luck then, apparently the person at the CAA did not know what they were talking about, the CAA brexit microsite already had the acceptance of EASA licenses for 2 years on it by that date. Which is why so many, very well documented on this forum, have switched their license elsewhere, many to Ireland as the IAA apparently was very professional and fast about it.

I couldn’t take the risk to lose my flying job in the UK due to a hard Brexit with me holding a flying license in any European EASA state and then not being able to fly a G reg. Nobody knew what was exactly going to happen.
If it means I have to do a few exams and another LPC so be it, but it is of course ridiculous.
Well, if flying a G-reg is the main point, of course there is no change for you then. The only change is when coming back to the EU, obviously.
My license was issued when it was fully IAW the current EASA rules and my TRE on the last company LPC was not even British, but an EASA state TRE. So what if that TRE fills out paperwork of an EASA state now for that same check ride?
He can still sign any EASA license. No idea about a UK license. But of course, a UK licensed TRE will not be able to sign an EASA license anymore. Same as an FAA examiner cannot sign a UK or EASA license.
My license is and says it’s an EASA Part-FCL license. It’s not a national license, yet. That a nation moves out of the organization doesn’t mean the license isn’t anymore according to the regulations. Wouldn’t that be discrimination? What if I would get ramp checked in the US or Asia. My license as it is now doesn’t exist?
Again: good luck, but hopefully ramp checker do know those things by now. And yes, regardless what it says on the paper, it is not an EASA license anymore, from the EASA it is a normal non-EASA ICAO license. Nothing more, nothing less.
It’s weird. And doesn’t seem right.

By the way, many airlines set up European AOC’s and all due to not being able to otherwise operate in both Europe and the UK. Not because they knew EASA licenses would be accepted in the UK. They separated the two.
My airline/ employer operates in the UK and Europe and didn’t know what to do with crew licensing really and separated them and also the AOC’s.
I can understand that it doesn't sit right, after all, at the moment the UK has not yet diverged from the EASA rulebook (how could it? It is not a competent authority yet as it does neither have the personnel nor the infrastructure to fulfill all regulatory functions again). However, the UK did chose to leave the EASA, and that includes licensing. It was not forced to do so, it was a conscious choice by the UK negotiators. Services were not part of the negotiations since at least march 2020, and aviation, after all, is a service, which meant that all hard brexit advise was extremely likely come into force, as it largely has. Of course, a frank discussion with your employer probably would have alleviated the fear of losing a job, talking to ones responsible manager is often easier and yields better results than most pilots seem to think.