PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looks like some Grob woes..
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 17:06
NutLoose

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
Just for fun, let's consider the following scenario:
- Grob owner/operator reads the EAD but notices that is is not yet effective.
- Grob owner/operator then authorises a flight/goes flying without carrrying out the necessary steps to comply with the EAD first. (Definitively not one of us...)
- Flight control bracket detaches, stick actuator loses control of said Grob, Grob experiences a rapid unscheduled disassembly upon reaching ground level (let's assume no loss of life or serious injuries to keep this thought experiment pleasant). There is a significant bit of damage though, including to innocent property.
- Is it still possible to claim that your aircraft was fine/airworthy/not your fault etc. when the property owner sues Grob owner/operator for damages?

Answers on a postcard....

I would think would have to prove he read the AD, he could deny he had seen it, even then it may be it was been ferried for maintenance to get the inspection carried out, you can and do get aircraft stuck at odd places where no maintenance is possible, in that case I would want to carry out a as far as possible detailed inspection prior to flight.

One I remember was the aerobar crankshafts where the mix had been altered resulting in several cavities in the material and a few props shed. The AD in that case said the engine had to come out wherever it was, we had one picking up pax here when the pilot got a call to tell him it was grounded and it sat for about 6 weeks engineless while it was sorted.