PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Second Officer Jobs
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2021, 10:45
pinkpanther1

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by deja vu
clearice- If and when you ever get a command you will certainly be surprised to learn there are just as many arseholes in the right seat as there are in the left. You would think it doesn't matter since you are "in command" but believe me a smart arse, sycophantic, competitive know all ruins what should be a good day out or in some cases a 4 day trip out.
For the last 15 years of my career I was more intent in finding out who I was flying with rather than where I was going when the roster was published.
I would fly with these guys just after they were released to line, timid and unsure but 6 months later they thought they had it all worked out. Reminds me of my kids when they got to 16 and knew everything. As they progressed these smarties came up for command, many failed and of those who passed some turned to be complete tossers, according to the junior FOs who had to fly with them.

In your case clearice, how weak is it to just accept the Captain's fuel decision and not state your case for a different figure if you think it matters. And yeah, keep up, but I imagine swanning through the terminal in full braided uniform ticks your boxes. He thinks there is crosswind from the left but you know its from the right but you don't say anything. Busy counting centreline lights and almost forgetting to monitor and call V1, you have an unhealthy obsession to collect demerit points as a priority it would seem. And the idea of a shoulder harness is to prevent hitting the windshield/window, get with the program. Remarks about Darwin and how "part" of you want things to grow into an incident tell us more about you than anything else. An F for CRM for you my lad.
Did it ever occur to you to confront this guy, you know, face to face?, discuss what worries you, maybe it could be worked out, rather than using the anonymity of this Forum or the mob think of your contemporaries who reckon your post was brilliant. I think you owe the travelling public more than you are giving.

And what on earth ever made you think that a sector is yours, no such thing. If a Captain is kind enough to allow you to operate and manage HIS aircraft for a leg or two, be grateful and respectful.
Sorry mate but don't be that guy. Unless you're paying the lease, insurance, fuel bill and landing fees it's not the Captain's aircraft either, it's the company's. Pretty sure any captain that hogged every sector would be getting a chat with the Senior Base.
it's that SkyGod, mentality that people can't stand and is more unsafe than any 'arrogant FO'. Learn to take a joke mate, jesus.

I'm left seat too and I thought it was a brilliant post.