PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Second Officer Jobs
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2021, 05:17
WillieTheWimp

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by petra.oskertrich1995
So firstly, shame on the men in here which have decided to spit on me for asking a question. I'm actually a female (parents from Croatia) and I am new to aviation but the hate messages I've received via my inbox would make you the troll (not me). Yes, I went to university here in Melbourne and yes I have around 200 hours now. I did the 150-hour integrated course which was part of a double major (Bachelor of Aviation & Business). A mentor suggested that doing the MCC & Jet Orientation course would help us stand out on the resume. I am also looking at doing a course on "airline interview tips". Any suggestions here? (without the haters please).

Thanks to some of you with insightful responses. Some of us at campus have looked at Darwin and Broome. There is also a "GA Ready" course we are looking at doing through Flight Standards. Has anyone had any experience with this course? Apparently the course will help getting a job in the northern area of the country.
You need to consider what crowd you are trying to stand out from.

In the case of Qantas, if and when they do eventually hire, 200 hours and a 'jet orientation course' will not make you stand out against a 5000 hour jet pilot. Unfortunately, your mentor has led you up the garden path there.

Now some facts:
1. Assuming you are lucky enough to get a job flying now, you will not be considered by Qantas recruitment for min 5 years, but probably closer to 10 years
2. Once you're considered, you will have to jump through their ridiculous hoops anyway, with a lot of good operators not making the cut, more or less it's a lucky dip.
3. Outside of Australia any contract job will require you to be already type rated with experience on type, usually at least 500 hours
4. Any ex-pat legacy carrier (I use that term loosely) will require you to have some form of previous airline experience( when it's booming, regional turboprop is good enough, when it's not booming then jet airline experience will be required)
5. Your only options in the foreseeable future is either piston single-engine charter or instructing.
6. If you aren't happy with either of those, do something else
7. Finally, don't take advise from flight schools, they will sell ice to an Eskimo

There are no guarantees in aviation and there's a good chance your career will not go in the direction you want. You might be lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath.