PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Second Officer Jobs
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2021, 06:50
Jnr380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by petra.oskertrich1995
Hey Everyone,

I am seeking knowledge and experience from anyone familiar with the Qantas Second Officer role and when it is likely to be offered again? I am a recent graduate at a flying school here in Melbourne with just under 200 hours (CPL, MECIR, all ATPLS) and looking at Qantas as my dream career when things return to normal soon. Does anyone have any advice on the position?

I have also enrolled in a Multi Crew Co-operation and Jet Orientation course, hoping this will help.

Thank you!!!
With a mentality like that it’s almost guaranteed you graduated from either Swinburne or RMIT, they tend to instil these false likelihoods of Graduate to Jet mentality.

No airline will be hiring for at least the next 7 years and it’ll be usually be in the following order
- Furloughed Staff
- Experienced Jet Turbine pilots with type rating
- Experienced Jet Turbine pilots without type rating
- Experienced twin Turbo-prop pilots
- Experienced twin piston pilots

Qantas mainline stopped recruiting in 2008 and didn’t start rehiring till about 2017 so maybe keep other options open

My advice to you is to get some twin and IF time behind you as well as an instructor rating, work your way up and when airlines around the world are trying to suck up as much pilots as possible then you’ll be in a more mature and experienced mindset to get the position

Last edited by Jnr380; 26th Feb 2021 at 07:00.