PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United B777 engine failure
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2021, 11:49
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do ATC always ask stupid questions about fuel and souls on board..?

Look, ATC paper-shufflers, the aircraft has only just taken off, so it has enough fuel to hang around for ages.
And the number of souls is on the loadsheet. Why the ... do you think we leave a copy of the loadsheet behind?
Oh - and by the way: I am dealing with a ***** emergency here, and my hands (and brain) are full....

In addition, dear ATC - please stop thinking of Sully landings, will you?
Contrary to what the FAA were promoting on the Hudson, we are not supposed to do a split-arrse ‘turn-n-return’ back onto the same runway. We are supposed to take up the hold and secure the engine, before calmly returning in a composed and ordered manner. That is the approved SOP. And from experience, the pattern this aircraft took is the absolute minumum flight time to get everything done.

As you can see from the video, the engine was happily smouldering away to itself, and not endagering the aircraft. That is why podded engines were invented. Podded engines with the N1 and compressors well in front of the leading edge, so that an N1 failure will not disrupt the wing systems or fuel tanks.

It all worked as designed and planned, and there was no need for a panic-return. So please stop offering immediate returns to land - unless specifically requested. (If a turn-n-retrn had. een executed, I can just imagine the request for fuel-load and souls onboard on 1/2 mile finals....)